The Hamilton Planning Commission will hold public hearings in the Town Office at 53 East Colonial Highway, Hamilton, Virginia on Wednesday, January 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM for the purpose of receiving comments on, considering, and possibly voting on: (1) amendments to Article 3 and Article 16 of the Hamilton Zoning Ordinance (HZO) adding regulations for the placement and use of certain shipping containers, and (2) amendments to the Town’s list of development application fees to entitle the list “Planning, Land Development and Zoning Fee Schedule” and add a $75 fee for a zoning permit allowing the placement and use of such shipping containers for a one year period, subject to the regulations of the amended HZO. These actions are authorized by Code of Virginia of 1950, as amended, §§ 15.2-2280 et seq. The proposed HZO amendments are summarized below:
HZO Article and Section: Article 3 (General Provisions)
- Adds a new Section 14 titled “Shipping Containers.”
- Adds regulations allowing shipping containers of no more than 40 feet in length on a temporary basis in the C-2 zoning district when used for storage and prohibiting shipping containers in other zoning districts.
- Adds regulations allowing only one shipping container per lot.
- Adds regulations limiting the areas where shipping containers may be placed on a lot.
- Adds regulations prohibiting the placement or use of shipping containers that have been structurally modified.
- Adds regulations limiting the placement of shipping containers greater than 20 feet in length.
- Adds regulations limiting the length of time a shipping container may be placed on a lot.
Adds a requirement to obtain a zoning permit prior to placement of a shipping container.
HZO Article 16 (definitions)
- Adds a definition for “shipping container.”
The proposed new $75 fee that would be added to the Town’s development application fees. The imposition of this fee is authorized by Code of Virginia of 1950, as amended, Section 15.2-2286.A.6.
The proposed amendments to the Zoning Ordinance for the Town of Hamilton, Virginia and proposed amendments to the Town’s list of development application fees are available for review at the Hamilton Town Office, 53 East Colonial Highway, Hamilton, Virginia from 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M., Monday through Friday, holidays excepted. The proposed amendments are also outlined on the Town’s website at the below link:
Proposed Shipping Container Regulations
Proposed Development Applicaton Fee Amendments
All members of the public may appear and present their views pertinent to these matters.